CRITICAL REVIEW

Romanian architect of Armenian descent, Krikor Navasartian designed buildings in various styles, mainly functionalist and eclectic, throughout the 1920s and 1930s. His most significant contribution is arguably Aron Mayer Parcelling, in 228, Calea Rahovei. Together with Vatra Luminoasă Parcelling, designed by the Autonomous Constructions Office (whose head-architect was also an Armenian ethnic, Neculai Aprihăneanu), Aron Mayer Parcelling is one of the very few attached multi-unit housing projects in the international style carried out in Bucharest. (Andrei Răzvan Voinea, 2016)


IMAGES



    BIOGRAPHY

    Academic/specialized studies
    Architect with a right of signature.
     
    Other relevant information
    He lived in 3b Maica Domnului Street, and later on, in 3 Făinari Street.
     


    PROJECTS


    COMPLETED PROJECTS
     
    Urban planning and landscaping projects
    1930-? - Aron Mayer Parcelling, 228 Calea Rahovei. The first plans to parcel this plot date back to the 1930s, but the different corrections made by the Blue District City Hall delayed the issuance of the individual building permits. The parcelling covers a total of 12,596 sq. m., and its architect suggested the opening of two streets (Rădiţei and Corneliu Popeia, with a total length of approx. 330 m and a width of 10 m) along which he designed 29 attached multi-unit houses (58 individual housing units). The building permits for the first six houses were issued only at the beginning of 1933, and the rest by the end of that year. The size of the housing units varies with the number of floors (all are larger than 82 sq. m.) and each has a small courtyard. In keeping with the international style adopted by Navasartian, some buildings have portholes, some are fitted with balconies, and the entrances are placed in the quieter corners, away from the street line.
     
    Architectural projects
    1933 - C.M. Dumitrescu Building, 4, Petru Cercel Street;
    1933 - Adolf. A. Franke Building, 20, Nifon Street (now 20, Mitropolit Nifon Street);
    1933 - Elizeu N. Uriașu Building, 4, Rădăuți Street (not located);
    1933 - G. Lupu Building, 263, Calea Rahovei (demolished).
     


    BIBLIOGRAPHY

    Primary sources:
    Cities’ Union Official Gazette - The Official Bulletin of the Urban Communes’ Association, 10, no.5-6, May - June 1933.

    Bucharest City Hall Official Gazette (September 3, 1933), no. 36, pg. 59.

    Bucharest City Hall Official Gazette (June 18, 1933), no. 25, pg. 14.

    CAZAZIAN, Mihai Stepan, „O excursie cu Mașina Timpului în trecutul Rumanahayilor” in: Araratonlie.com. Periodic al Uniunii Armenilor din România, February 27, 2016, accessed on September 15, 2016:
    http://www.araratonline.com/o-excursie-cu-masina-timpului-in-trecutul-rumanahayilor/
     
    Secondary sources:
    PMB Archives, Technical Fund 106/1945.