Architect of German origin, born and active in our country in the interwar period, with some Art Deco works, also involved in the construction or restoration of Roman-Catholic buildings. (Oana Marinache, 2016)


(Tufeni, 1874 – Bucharest, 1955)
Academic/specialized studies
1892 - He got his degree in architecture at Technicum Strelitz / München.
Professional activity: affiliations, administrative positions, committees
1892 - As soon as he returned in Romania, he joined engineer Nicolae Cuțarida’s team for the works on the Palace of Justice on the Dâmbovița quay.
1894 - He was hired by the Ministry of Culture and Public Instruction to supervise the works on the National Theatre.
1896-1898 - He worked in architect Ion N. Socolescu’s enterprise on the C.E.C. Palace.
1899-1901 - He worked in Otto Wagner’s workshop in Vienna.
1902-1946 - He worked in his own workshop.
Other relevant information
In 1908, he purchased a brick factory in Giurgiu.
In 1911, Carol Cortobius’s personal estate was auctioned for indemnity owed to Măgurele Bank in Giurgiu. He lived at 33 Calea Plevnei.
The architect applied for Romanian citizenship, and the review of his papers began in 1924, but in 1926 his property was confiscated on the grounds that he was a German subject. There are no known data on the year when he obtained Romanian citizenship.



Architectural Projects
1908 - Albert Baer property at 20 Luigi Cazzavillan Street suffered major damage after the collapse of the ceilings, as the work had been constructed illegally by Carol Cortobius, which is why he was forbidden to request permits for 2 years.
1910-1911 - House and annexes Eng. Zahariade, 31bis Șoseaua Kiseleff;
1912 - Dr. N. Stoenescu property, 51 Izvor Street, Bucharest;
1912 - I. Doiciu building, Franklin Street;
1912 - Iosif Fischer house, Palas Street;
1912 - Eng. C. Saidel house on Popa Rusu Street, at the corner of Italiană Street;
1913 - Annexes on Elena Nicolau property, at 81 Calea Călărași, at the corner of Romulus Street;
1913 - Eng. Hirsch house on the former Neatârnărei Blvd (now Mărăşeşti Blvd.);
1914 - E. Behles house on Artei Street, at the corner of Rahovei;
1914-1915 - Sfânta Elena Roman-Catholic church, 102 Cuza Vodă Street;
1915 - Eduard Hohn house, 2-4 Lirei Street;
1918 - Albert Farchy house, General Budişteanu Street;
1921 - Houses for Spandonide family, Bulevardul Cuza Blvd. and Șoseaua Ștefan cel Mare;
1922 - Workshops, garages, warehouses (for Anastasiu brothers), 47 Șoseaua Bonaparte;
1924 - A. Păunescu house, 41 Independenţei Street;
1924 - A. Dattelbaum house, 18 Popa Tatu Street;
1926 - Baptist Seminary, 15 Berzei Street;
1926 - D. Arțăreanu house, 40 Vasile Lascăr Street;
1926 - Fritzi Rubinstein house, 62 Berthelot Street;
1929 - ’’Regina Maria” Operetta Theatre;
1929-1930 - His own house in Sinaia, Şoimului Street, made of prefabricated materials;
1932-1936 - Sf. Anton de Padova chapel, Colentina, 113-115 Magnoliei Street;
? - C. Zamfirescu building, 36-38 Elisabeta Blvd.;
? - Attorney Ighel-Deleanu house, 2 Antim Street.
Restauration projects
1928 - ’’Sfânta Maria” church, Bărăția.
Interior decoration projects
1924 - Reconstruction and interior decoration of Jacob Haffner’s house on Dianei Street.


Primary sources:
DOBOȘ, Dănuț (coord.), HUSARIU, Petru, BUTURAGĂ, Maria, DUMITRESCU, Andrei, Biserica „Sfânta Elena” - București. Un veac de istorie și spiritualitate, Editura Arhiepiscopiei Romano-Catolice, București, 2015.
Secondary sources:
A.N.D.M.B. and P.M.B. Archives
Monitorul Oficial
Monitorul Comunal