Remarkable architect and restorer of the interwar period, successor of his master, Ion Mincu, Ion D. Trajanescu fundamentally contributed to the design of standard housing parcelling lots for the Society of Cheap Housing and the restoration of religious buildings of major importance.
Oana MARINACHE (2016)
(Bucharest, May 30, 1875 - 1964)
1892-1897 - School of Architecture of the Society of Romanian Architects (diploma as works supervisor;
1897-1902 - Superior School of Architecture (architect diploma in 1903).
Teaching activity (disciples and influence)
1913-1920 - Honorary professor;
1924-1940 - Professor of the Faculty of Architecture in Bucharest, with a tenure at the Department of Civil Engineering and Perspective;
He wrote the textbook Perspectiva liniară. Metodă practică pentru uzul artelor plastice.
Professional activity: affiliations, administrative positions, committees
1910 - Architect of the Communal Society for Cheap Housing.
1912-1926 - Member of the Society of Romanian Architects’ Committee, holding the position of secretary (1912-1915), cashier (1916-1918), librarian (1919-1921), vice president (1922-1926).
? - Member of several commissions of the Romanian Architects Committee: Commission for Public Contests, Commission for the Organization Law of the Architects Union, Commission for the study of architectural nomenclature, Commission for Sewing Bees.
1933 (May) - Member of the Union of Architects.
1950-1953 - Architect of the Institute for City, Public Construction and Housing Design - ISPROR.
Other relevant information
He was the student of architect Ion Mincu (1852-1912), whose successor he was in promoting the Neo-Romanian style, and for whom he had a boundless admiration; he even decorated the facade of his own house with his master's effigy.
He had his own architectural office called ’’The Board”.
The first known house of architect Ion D. Trajanescu is located in Clucerului parcelling, at 3 Ady Endre Street. It was designed and executed by the Communal Society for Cheap Housing in 1911. As chief architect of the Society, Trajanescu received a place to live, in one of the 31 attached houses in the parcelling. According to C. Sfinţescu, the surface of the area was 11,400 sq. m. (the land had been donated to the Society by the City Hall), of which 4,800 (41%) were occupied by open streets. It was divided into 62 lots, averaging 180 sq m.
In 1929, the architect built his second house, near the first one, at 4 Arch. Ion Mincu Street (P.M.B. Archives, file 65/1929). His building was nationalized in 1950.
Urban planning and landscaping projects
1904-1907 - Trajan’s Monument in Brăila and the Monument of Independence in Pitești (collaborated with sculptor Dumitru Pavelescu-Dimo);
? - Parcelling in Eng. Teodoru Street (together with arch. D. Mohor, the Communal Society for Cheap Housing);
? - Other parcelling lots in Tei/Mihail Cornea/Floreasca, Drumul Sării, Belvedere/C.A.M., Ana Davila, Steaua Română/C.F.R., Cazarmei/Uranus neighbourhoods.
1905-1913 - ’’Sf. Împărați” Church in Agăș and „Sf. Voievozi” Church in Scorțeni, Bacău County;
1906 - Romania’s General Exhibition in Carol I Park;
1910-1911 - 31 houses in Clucerului/Ady Endre/Petöfi Sándor parcelling;
1922-1924 - ’’Sf. Trifon” Church, Cărămidarii de Jos (together with Duiliu Marcu);
1922 - ’’Sf. Spiridon” Church, Spirea Veche;
1924-1934 - Colentina Church;
1926-1929 - Palace of the Cultural League (now Bulandra Theatre);
1931-1934, 1938-1941 - Park, columbarium and the decoration of the chapel of „Cenușa” human crematory;
1934-1940 - ’’Sf. Apostoli Petru și Pavel” Church, Belvedere;
1942-1943 - ’’Sf. Mare Mucenic Gheorghe” Church, in Ivești, Galați County;
1962 - ’’Sf. Gheorghe” Cathedral in Tecuci;
? - Villas in Bucharest, Bușteni, Ruginoasa, Râmnicu Vâlcea.
? - Șerban Vodă-Bellu Cemetery: Haraga Vault and Căruntu Vault.
1907-1923 - Technical Service of the Commission for Historical Monuments;
? - Hurezi, Govora, Bistrița, Dintr-un Lemn, Brâncoveni, Potlogi, Măldărești, Sărăcinești (Vâlcea County), Mamu, Todireni-Burdujeni, Metropolitan Church in Bucharest, Corbii Mari, Stănești ( Vâlcea County), Popești (former Vlașca County), Golești, Episcopal church in Huși, Episcopal chapel in Râmnicu Vâlcea.
Complete archives http://trajanescu.ro/html/planse-dosare-memorii-cmi-Trajanescu.html
? - Decorations of the management offices, power plant and workshops of the ’’Belvedere” Tobacco Factory
? - ’’Sf. Împărați Constantin și Elena” Patriarchal Cathedral: decoration of the niches in the narthex and of the stalls.
Competitions. Awards and distinctions
1926-1935 - Took part in the competition for „Sf. Mihail și Gavril” Orthodox Cathedral in Turda.
1928-1938 - Took part in the competition for „Madona-Dudu” Church, in Craiova, working with architect Sterie Becu.
1936-1946 - Took part in the competition for Romanian Orthodox Metropolitan Cathedral in Timișoara.
1938-1962 - Took part in the competition for „Sf. Gheorghe” Cathedral, in Tecuci, co-authors architects Magda Iacobescu-Trajanescu and I. G. Mayer.
Other competitions he took part in: Orthodox Cathedral in Brăila, Mausoleum in Mărășești, Cathedral in Odessa, Royal Palace Square – all these projects were not completed.
1906-1941 - Founding member and editorial staff member of Arhitectura magazine.
1909-1916 - Buletinul Comisiunii Monumentelor Istorice.
Mitropolia din București. Studiu, Tipografia „Gutenberg”, București, 1913.
Arhitectura. Privire generală asupra arhitecturei antice, medievale, moderne și românești, „Avântul” Institutul de Arte Grafice, București, 1916.
Published articles in periodicals: Urbanismul, Gazeta Municipală și Universul.
Textbook: Perspectiva liniară. Metodă practică pentru uzul artelor plastice, 1939.
Complete list http://trajanescu.ro/html/volume-studii-articole-Ion-Trajanescu.html
TRAJANESCU, Ion D., Memoriu de activitate, typewritten material, U.A.R. archives
Artele frumoase și Arhitectura magazines.